Saturday, October 11, 2008

That first drop…

Spring set in silently in Bangalore. The garden city wore a look of lush greenery all around. The flowers bloomed spreading fragrance in the air. New leaves sprouted giving a new skin-top to the branches. There was vibrant color everywhere. But, the mud, trees, shrubs, flowers, birds missed something. In fact, Mother Nature looked incomplete.

Then, the sky was overcast with thick black clouds. Somewhere, far away, a slash of lightning flashed the sky. Thunder struck loud and clear heralding the arrival of the first summer shower. Yes! The much awaited first drop was here! That first shower. Indeed, Mother Nature wanted that first wash….to cleanse her….to make her pure and new.

I was traveling in the cab back home from office. There was a light smell of rain floating in the air. I opened the window to experience the wetness of those first drops. Slowly but steadily, the rain came down…..wetting the earth…cleansing it in the process….making it look fresh and clean. Mother Nature was having her first shower of the season.

Oh…how beautiful nature looked! I put my head out of the window like a small child. I felt one with nature feeling the wind against my hair, the droplets moistening my cheeks gently, and the smell of rain wafting around my nose.

The drizzle slowly strengthened. The wipers came to life removing the drop-lets and making our journey hassle-free. As usual, the power went off with the arrival of the rain. We were smothered in pitch darkness.

I treaded my way carefully back home in the dark. Not possessing an umbrella this day proved worthwhile. I got drenched in the rain. Pools of water filled the road. Walking became a pleasure as I waded across small streams and jumped over stagnant and slushy pools. I enjoyed the experience thoroughly…feeling the touch of Mother Nature as she drenched me from head to toe. I felt soaked…not with wetness….but in happiness and madness over the first rain of the summer.

Nature made me a child. She made me experience the beauty of the rain. I became one with her for those few moments.

Even now…when I look back….

The music of the wind overwhelms me…
The muddy aura fills me…
The tiny drop soaks me…
The child within… awakens me…
For a beautiful tomorrow…..to admire nature….and become one with it!

Oh! How wonderful is that first shower!

No comments: